Sunday, February 19, 2012

Introduction to Philosophical Hermeneutics

Grodin, J. (1994).  Introduction to philosophical hermeneutics. London: Yale University Press.

The first required read of the year for my Hermeneutics Research class and I would have to say that I really enjoyed the book.  This isn't normally the case for research books, but I think I have found this text to be very useful in my understanding of philosophical hermeneutics.  Perhaps it is due to the historical nature of the text; it reads very much like a history textbook on the subject, or it is because I actually know that I am interested in hermeneutics as my overarching philosophy and research methodology for my dissertation; thankfully, it is a year away before I get to begin that endeavor.

While I haven't yet read Gadamer's Truth & Method, or only partially, as it is current reading for another class, the farther along I made it in Grodin, the clearer my Truth & Method reading has become.  What I am lead to wanting to read, or if not wanting, intrigued to read are Heidigger's Being & Time and Kant's Critique of Reason.

Lot's to read and not a lot of time to do it in.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there's anything in the world that would want me to read more Kant. ;-)

    ReplyDelete